International Cooperation Division (ICD) facilitates in developing strong linkages and networks with relevant multilateral agencies and international competition jurisdictions/authorities for enabling effective cooperation including capacity building, enforcement cooperation, networking and exposure to the global best practices.
Section 18 of the Competition Act provides that the Commission may for discharging its duties or performing its functions under this Act, enter into any memorandum or arrangement with the prior approval of the Central Government, with any agency of any foreign country. ICD facilitates in entering in MoU with international competition jurisdictions/ authorities.
International Cooperation Division also participates in the negotiations of Competition Chapter under the Free Trade Agreements negotiated by the Government of India
MOUs Page under IC
As mandated under Section 18 of the Competition Act, 2002, the Competition Commission of India (CCI) has entered into Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), after obtaining approval from the Government of India, with the following competition authorities so far.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between CCI and Competition Commission of Mauritius (CCM) on 23 February 2022. The MoU was signed by Mr. Ashok Kumar Gupta, Chairperson, CCI and Mr. Mahmad Aleem Bocus, Chairperson, CCM.
- Memorandum on Cooperation (MoC) was signed between the CCI and Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC) on 6 August 2021. The MoC was signed by Mr. Ashok Kumar Gupta, Chairperson, CCI and Mr. Kazuyuki Furuya, Chairman, JFTC.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the CCI and the Administrative Council for Economic Defense of Brazil (CADE) on 18 June 2021. The MoU was signed by Mr. Ashok Kumar Gupta, Chairperson, CCI and Mr. Alexandre Barreto de Souza, President, CADE Brazil.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the competition authorities of the Federative Republic of Brazil, the Russian Federation, the Republic of India, the People’s Republic of China and the Republic of South Africa was signed on 19 May 2016 during the International Legal Forum held in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The MoU was signed by Mr. Marcio de Oliveira Junior, Commissioner of Administrative Council for Economic Defense, Mr. Igor Artemiev, Head of the Federal Antimonopoly Service of the Russian Federation, Mr. S.L. Bunker, Member of the Competition Commission of India, Mr. Tembinkosi Bonakele, Commissioner of the Competition Commission of the Republic of South Africa, and Mr. Jiangping Wang, Vice Minister of the State Administration for Industry and Commerce of the People's Republic of China. In 2020, extension of the BRICS MoU for an open end period was signed by Mr. Ashok Kumar Gupta, Chairperson, CCI.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the CCI and Commissioner of Competition, Competition Bureau Canada (CB) on 1 December 2014. The MOU was signed by Mr. Ashok Chawla, Chairperson, CCI and Mr. John Pecman, Commissioner, CB, Canada on the sidelines of 2014 ICN Merger Workshop in New Delhi, India.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between CCI and the Directorate General for Competition of the European Commission (DG, Competition) on 21 November 2013. The MoU was signed by Mr. Ashok Chawla, Chairman, CCI and Mr. Joaquin Almunia, Vice President for Competition, EU on the sidelines of the 3rd BRICS International Competition Conference in New Delhi, India.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the CCI and Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) at Canberra, Australia on 3 June 2013. The MOU was signed by Mr. Ashok Chawla, Chairperson, CCI and Mr. Rod Sims, Chairman, ACCC.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between CCI and United States Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) was signed on 27 September 2012 in Washington D.C, USA. The MoU was signed by Mr. Ashok Chawla, Chairperson, CCI and Mr. Jon Leibowitz, Chairperson, FTC and Mr. Joseph Wayland Acting Assistant Attorney General, DOJ.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between CCI and Federal Antimonopoly Service (Russia) was signed on 16 December 2011 in the presence of Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Russian President Mr. Dmitry Medvedev in Moscow, Russia.
Hosting of International Programme
Apart from facilitating the Commission and its officers in capacity building, enforcement cooperation, networking and exposure to the global best practices, ICD also organises and hosts key international programmes. The international programmes organised so far are of great importance in the field of Competition Law and Policy. These events have showcased CCI as an important emerging competition authority in the world. The following are the details of the events.
3 rd BRICS International Competition Conference
The third BRICS International Competition Conference was hosted by the CCI in New Delhi during November 21-22, 2013 on behalf of BRICS countries. The theme of the conference was “Competition Enforcement in BRICS Countries: Issues and Challenges”. Approximately three hundred delegates from India and other jurisdictions, including delegates from the BRICS competition authorities participated in the conference.
The conference was inaugurated by Hon'ble Prime Minister of India Dr. Manmohan Singh, on November 21, 2013. Hon'ble Minister of Corporate Affairs Mr. Sachin Pilot delivered the key note address. The two day Conference consisted of 6 substantive sessions, besides the inaugural, plenary and closing sessions. During the conference, discussions focused on issues and challenges in setting up an effective agency, enforcement vis-à-vis state owned enterprises, public procurement and creation of competition culture. A separate session was provided for experience sharing by mature jurisdictions. The last session deliberated on transforming cooperation from ideas into action. The Chairperson, Competition Appellate Tribunal (COMPAT) Mr. Justice (Retd) V. S. Sirpurkar, delivered the keynote address during the closing session of the Conference on November 22, 2013.
International Competition Network (ICN) Merger Workshop Delhi 2014
ICN Merger Workshop was hosted by the CCI during December 1-2, 2014 in New Delhi. The theme of the workshop was “International Cooperation in Merger Enforcement”. The Union Minister of Finance, Corporate Affairs and Information & Broadcasting Shri Arun Jaitley delivered the Inaugural Address at the Opening Session of the ICN Merger Workshop 2014. The workshop was attended by around 300 dignitaries from the competition and related fields from India and abroad.
The two day workshop consisted of four plenary sessions, besides the inaugural, breakout sessions after plenaries and the closing session. The discussion during the workshop primarily focussed on the issues and challenges faced in international cooperation particularly on the aspect of designing of remedies in multijurisdictional merger cases. The Chairperson, COMPAT Mr. Justice G.S. Singhvi, delivered the valedictory address during the closing session of the Workshop.
Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development- Korea Policy Centre (KPC) Workshop 2017
OECD-KPC in collaboration with the CCI organised a workshop on “Best Practices in Cartel Procedure” during 24-26 October 2017 in New Delhi. The workshop was attended by 39 delegates from 13 countries of Asia Pacific Region like Hong Kong, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Philippines etc. including officers from the Commission.
The opening sessions were addressed by Mr. Devender Kumar Sikri, Chairperson, CCI; Mr. Soohyun Yoon, Director General, OECD/KPC Competition Programme, and Mr. Ruben Maximiano, Senior Competition Expert, OECD..
International Competition Network (ICN) Annual Conference 2018
The 17 th International Competition Network (ICN) Annual Conference was hosted by CCI during March 21-23, 2018 in New Delhi. Around 500 professionals attended the Conference from 70 plus countries, which included Heads of competition agencies, representatives and stakeholders consisting of the legal and economic professionals, international organisations and academics.
Shri P. P. Chaudhary, Minister of State for Law and Justice & Corporate Affairs, inaugurated the 2018 ICN Annual Conference and Shri Manoj Sinha, Hon’ble Minister of State for Telecommunications (I /C) and Minister of State for Railways gave the valedictory address.
The conference was spread over for three days with eight plenaries and various breakout sessions. Each plenary and breakout sessions had speakers from various jurisdiction and countries providing their experience. The deliberations of these sessions provided insights into various issues related to competition law and policy. The conference has helped in facilitating international cooperation and sharing of best practices on competition law and its application amongst member countries. During the conference, CCI also presented a special project on Cartel Enforcement and Competition.
International Competition Network (ICN) Unilateral Conduct Virtual Workshop 2022
CCI hosted the 9 th International Competition Network (ICN) Unilateral Conduct Working Group (UCWG) Workshop virtually during 22-23 March 2022. The Workshop was attended by over two hundred officers of various Competition Agencies and Non-Governmental Advisors (NGAs).
Mr Ashok Kumar Gupta, Chairperson CCI delivered the opening remarks. The theme of the workshop was Types of abusive unilateral conduct in digital markets –traditional and novel issues. The two day virtual workshop consisted of one plenary session and three breakout sessions.
The workshop offered a platform for exchange of views and enforcement experiences amongst competition agencies and NGAs, enabling them to develop appropriate responses to deal with antitrust issues relating to abusive unilateral conduct in digital markets.